Wales Record Society
The South Wales Record Society was established in 1982 and exists to publish
a regular series of texts and other works relating to the history of South
Wales, and in particular to the historic counties of Glamorgan and
Such publications allow original source
materials that would otherwise only be accessible in archives and libraries
to be examined by a wider readership. Each text is provided with a scholarly
introduction, notes, bibliography, and other glossaries and appendices which
enable the original source to be placed in its historical context.
For a subscription of £5 payable annually in April, members of the Society,
either individuals or institutions, are entitled to buy its publications at a
substantial discount and are kept informed of new publications and of the
We are now on Twitter and
Facebook. Follow us to keep up to date with all our
Please note the new email
address for the society (from 2 January 2014). It is:
This replaces all
previously advertised email addresses.
War Underground: Memoirs of a Bevin Boy in the
South Wales Coalfield
By Michael Edmonds, edited by Christopher
The first-hand account of a Dorset-born Bevin
Boy working underground in South Wales during
the Second World War.
The Correspondence of Thomas Henry Thomas, 'Arlunydd
correspondence, dating from Victorian times to
the First World War, illustrating the life and
interests of a remarkable man who championed and
promoted the culture of Wales.
author, Michael Edmunds, speaks to those
attending the launch at Pontypridd Museum, 20
April 2013. He is flanked by editor Peter
Wakelin and Kim Howells who provided the
Listen to editor, Peter Wakelin,
talking to BBC's Vaughan Roderick about the book
and its author.
sadly passed away on 30 March 2014. His obituary
in the Guardian can be read online
'a book launch with a difference' in July 2012,
the editor's grand daughter raises the red
dragon emblem which was promoted by artist,
antiquarian and Welsh cultural nationalist,
Thomas Henry Thomas, during his lifetime. It was
accepted as the badge of the Prince of Wales in
1901 and became the Welsh Flag in 1953.